Many problems can be solved by simply re-initializing TeX Live, which is an item in the Tools menu of the launcher. Some specific problems:
- Files are opened by the wrong program
- How can I configure TeXnicCenter with Adobe Reader as pdf viewer?
- The LaTeX editor cannot view the pdf
- The LaTeX editor no longer generates pdf
- LuaTeX or XeTeX hangs
- TeXnicCenter- or Dviout help does not work
- Problems with WinEdt
- Temporarily going back to 2013
Files are opened by the wrong program
File associations under RES are glitchy. RES has trouble with
users picking their own default programs. You can keep re-selecting
your favorite LaTeX editor from the launcher, or use the
with ... context menu of Windows Explorer, or give up and go
with the default.
How can I configure TeXnicCenter with Adobe Reader as pdf viewer?
The TeX Live Launcher has an item under Tools to reconfigure the TeXnicCenter output profiles. On the old UWP there was a choice between SumatraPDF (a component of our TeX Live) and Adobe Reader. Currently, SumatraPDF will be configured as viewer in either case.
The intervention of RES workspace software broke the old configuration code. I have not yet figured out how to fix it, and am not even sure whether it can be fixed.
Note that SumatraPDF lets you jump between the corresponding place in the source and in the pdf: source ⇒ pdf via the View button; pdf ⇒ source via double-clicking in the pdf.
Of course, you can still open the pdf in e.g. Adobe Reader from Adobe Reader itself.
The LaTeX editor cannot view the pdf
Under the current UWP, many applications are launched via intermediary layers of software. As a consequence, LaTeX editors may fail to launch Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Workarounds:
- Use the built-in pdf viewer, if the editor has one
- Use SumatraPDF. Put the portable edition on your X:- or D:
drive, or use the one which is bundled with our TeX Live, at
Best to copy-and-paste this string. Note that TeXnicCenter is already configured for SumatraPDF, see above.
- Double-click the pdf in Windows Explorer
The LaTeX editor no longer generates pdf
This may be due to either damage to your profile or to changes in the underlying system. Close your LaTeX editor, run the launcher from the RUG menu and click on Tools / Re-initialize TeX Live to refresh your settings.
LuaTeX or XeTeX hangs
Probably LuaTeX or XeTeX is just busy generating or updating a font cache. This can take a long time.
TeXnicCenter- or Dviout help does not work
These programs use
compiled html for help. Windows
considers this file format – like many Microsoft-developed
formats – too unsafe to handle unless the file comes from a
safe location. At the same time, Windows may not recognize
our network drives as a safe location. You can complain about this
to ICT via an online
Workarounds: I know of no workaround which works from within TeXnicCenter or Dviout. But some relief can be had in one of two ways:
- Copy the helpfiles concerned to a local drive. You can get at them via the launcher: click File / Browse the TeX Live installation. The TeXnicCenter help files are in the 2014 \ rugextras \ TeXnicCenter \ Help subdirectory, the dviout help file is 2014 \ tlpkg \ dviout \ dvioute.chm. Or:
- Install the ChmFox Firefox add-on into Firefox and restart
Firefox. Now you can view the chm help files with Firefox. Because
the files may be a bit hard to find, you can copy-and-paste the
following strings to Firefox and then visit and bookmark them
(they do not seem to work as hyperlinks):
Temporarily going back to 2013
As long as the 2013 files are still present, you can go back to the 2013 version, at least for the current session:
- Start the 2014 launcher (Start > All Programs > Text Processing > TeX Live 2014)
- Click File > Browse the TeX Live installation
- Start again the 2014 lancher, and click Tools > Clear TeX Live settings
- In the explorer window created by the second step, go to the 2013 subdirectory and click on TLR2013_2[.exe]
- Inform me of your problem with the new version.
Although the 2014 launcher removes the 2013 settings, the converse is not the case. Therefore, you need to remove the 2014 settings with the 2014 launcher before running the 2013 launcher.
Be warned that RES will restore the 2014 settings at your next login.
RuG TeX pages last revised on June 8 2015