Many problems can be solved, at least for the current session, by simply re-initializing TeX Live, which is an item in the Tools menu of the launcher.
There are limitations on what can be done on a standard UWP desktop, which runs under the control of RES Workspace Manager:
- Some file associations, such as for .pdf and .eps, are reset at re-login to the RES defaults.
- Many applications are virtualized, which complicates integration into TeX Live. This is e.g. the case with WinEdt, which is available to some users.
- Settings are preserved between logins only if that has been so configured by ICT staff.
Some specific problems you may encounter when running our TeX Live:
- Files are opened in the wrong program
- How can I configure TeXnicCenter with Adobe Reader as pdf viewer?
- The LaTeX editor cannot view the pdf
- The LaTeX editor no longer generates pdf
- LuaTeX or XeTeX hangs
- TeXnicCenter- or dviout help does not work
- Problems with WinEdt
Files are opened in the wrong program
RES presets certain file associations,
e.g. for pdf files. Even apart from that, file associations
can be glitchy. See whether the
Open with ... right-click menu in
Windows Explorer and most file managers provides an acceptable
How can I configure TeXnicCenter with Adobe Reader as pdf viewer?
This option is currently not supported. The TeX Live Launcher has an item under Tools to reconfigure the TeXnicCenter output profiles. There used to be a choice between SumatraPDF (a component of our TeX Live) and Adobe Reader. When in the past RES made this more difficult, I dropped Adobe Reader altogether, also because of the advantages of SumatraPDF (no file locking, source-pdf synchronization). Of course, you can still view the generated pdf with Adobe via other means.
The LaTeX editor cannot view the pdf
See the previous item. The location of our SumatraPDF is
You can also double-click the pdf in Windows Explorer or in another file manager.
The LaTeX editor no longer generates pdf
This may be due to damage to your profile, to changes in the underlying system, or Adobe Reader or Acrobat may have locked the file. If file locking is not the problem, close your LaTeX editor, run the launcher from the RUG menu and click on Tools / Re-initialize TeX Live to refresh your settings.
LuaTeX or XeTeX hangs
Probably LuaTeX or XeTeX is just busy generating or updating a font cache. This can take a long time.
TeXnicCenter- or dviout help does not work
These programs use
compiled html for help. Windows
considers this file format – like many Microsoft-developed
formats – too unsafe to handle unless the file comes from a
safe location. At the same time, Windows may not recognize
our network drives as safe.
Workarounds: I know of no workaround which works from within TeXnicCenter or Dviout. But some relief can be had in one of two ways:
- Copy the helpfiles concerned to a local drive. You can get at them via the launcher: click File > Browse the TeX Live installation. The TeXnicCenter help files are in the 2015 \ rugextras \ TeXnicCenter \ Help subdirectory, the dviout help file is 2015 \ tlpkg \ dviout \ dvioute.chm. Or:
- Install the ChmFox Firefox add-on into Firefox and restart
Firefox. Now you can view the chm help files with Firefox. Because
the files may be a bit hard to find, you can copy-and-paste the
following strings to Firefox and then visit and bookmark them
(they do not seem to work as hyperlinks):
- chm://///workspace.rug.nl/aps/serverbased/texlive/2015/tlpkg/dviout/dvioute.chm!/CONTENTS.html (last time I tested, I failed to open dviout help in this way)
Temporarily going back to 2014
As long as the 2014 files are still present, you can go back to the 2014 version, at least for the current session:
- Start the 2015 launcher (Start > All Programs > Text Processing > TeX Live 2015)
- Click File > Browse the TeX Live installation
- Start again the 2015 lancher, and click Tools > Clear TeX Live settings
- In the explorer window created by the second step, go to the 2014 subdirectory and click on TLR2014[.exe]
- Inform me of your problem with the new version. My email address is in the gray box at the upper right of this page.
Although the 2015 launcher removes the 2014 settings, the converse is not the case. Therefore, you need to remove the 2015 settings with the 2015 launcher before running the 2014 launcher.
Be warned that RES will restore the 2015 settings at your next login.
RuG TeX pages last revised on January 14 2016